||[Mar. 24th, 2015|11:52 am]
(I recently rediscovered a bunch of stuff I'd written about six years ago. Here's the origin story for one of my Vampire Dark Ages characters. If you like this, check out Children of Elisabet for more.)
I was born on April 1, 1162 in the Transylvanian town of Kronstadt, deep in the Carpathian Mountains. The third of six children, I was put to work as a goose herd as soon as I could walk and wield a stick. Both of my parents were employed as servants at the Keep of the Teutonic Knights. At the age of seventeen, I married a wheelwright by the name of Nicolae. He was older than me by a decade or more, and he said he loved me. Although I didn't love him in return, he treated me well enough.
( When the plague came to Kronstadt, Nicolae died first.Collapse )
|Banana Buckwheat Pancakes
||[Mar. 24th, 2015|10:26 am]
My friend Mo sent me this link a while back, telling me the pancakes are delicious. It took me a while before I finally made them, but guess what? She's right.
It's gluten-free and egg-free, and super yummy.
The original portions in the recipe are too small, but here's the scaled-up recipe. It serves about three or four.
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 cup steel-cut oats (or grind rolled oats with a blender or food processor)
2 Tbsp ground flax seed
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup plain or Greek yoghourt
1 1/4 cup milk or milk substitute
2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
2 sliced ripe bananas
Heat a skillet over medium heat for 3-5 minutes while you prepare the batter.
Whisk together dry ingredients. Add yoghourt, milk, vanilla, and oil. Mix until smooth. Batter should be thick, but you can thin it with a bit more milk, if you like.
Fold in bananas.
Put some oil in the pan, then add about 1/4 cup of batter per pancake. It should sizzle when it hits the pan. Cook until bubbles start to appear throughout, then flip and cook for about two minutes.
Serve 'em warm with all the fixings.
|Tap tap. Is this thing on?
||[Mar. 11th, 2015|11:32 pm]
Today's the first time I've been able to access LJ in over a week. Has anyone else had issues with it? I'm seeing lots of posts, so now I'm thinking it's all about me. Yup.|
|Danse Du Jour
||[Jan. 28th, 2015|07:46 pm]
It's been a while, but this one jumped to my attention. It's not a stellar piece of virtuosic skill. The choreography isn't earth-shattering. However, it is amazing because of all the students who were involved in this production. What a great teacher, to get so many kids interested in dance and the sheer joy of moving.
This is the A. Maceo Smith New Tech High School doing their interpretation of Uptown Funk.
||[Jan. 7th, 2015|02:45 pm]
So I won a trip to the Yukon and entry into the world's longest kayak race (>770 km). I'm trying to figure out how to make this thing happen. A DNF is fine by me. I just want to be able to give it my best.|
||[Jan. 4th, 2015|06:22 pm]
I think I made one of these lists about ten years ago or so. I'm not sure where I put it, but I do know I should cross a few of these off. And here's another list, in no particular order.
- learn to knit
- Learn card weaving
- Do a strict pull-up
- Do a chest-to-bar pull-up
- Create my own comic book
- Make a meal strictly from wild-gathered food without leaving the city
- Hike the Inca Trail
- Travel to the UK
- Take classical voice classes
- Be an art model
- Be a fashion model
- Study trapeze
- Learn to pole dance
- Learn aerial silks
- Learn to climb a rope
- Do mixed martial arts fighting
- Travel to a metropolis solo
- Learn to spin poi
- Learn to spin voi
- Get my first solo art show
- Learn to china paint
- Learn to do soft pastels paintings
- Run a cross-country race
- Run a road race
- Run a 5 km race
- Run a 7/8 km race
- Run a 10 km race
- Try parkour
- Eat a cricket (it was gross)
- Self publish a book
- Get published in a literary journal
- Teach myself Latin
- Learn to sing in German, Latin, French, and Italian
- Go to the opera
- Become a personal trainer
- Study butoh, contemporary dance, modern dance, Khmer ballet, tap, ballet, flamenco, krump, breakdance, dancehall
- Perform in a dance troupe
- Perform a choreographed piece
- Get rock climbing and belaying lessons
- Do multiple, unassisted pistol squats
- Do multiple glute-ham raises with ease
- Ride a camel
- See a Cirque du Soleil show
- Learn to do a headstand
To Be Completed
- Travel to Ecuador, Mongolia, Romania, Transylvania, Germany, Iceland, Greece, Morocco, Kenya, Hawaii, Antarctica, Galapagos Islands, Northwest Territories, Yukon Territory, Nunavut.
- Participate in a Tough Mudder
- Teach art
- Go backwoods camping
- Take up orienteering
- Improve my Latin
- Do unassisted handstand pushups
- Learn to sing in Arabic
- Learn to play the button-key accordion again
- Learn how to boulder
- Do a free-standing handstand
- Get proficient enough at pistol squats to incorporate them in a dance performance
- Ride an elephant
- Ride an ostrich
- Compete in a crosscountry adventure race
- Run a half marathon
- Run a marathon
- Learn nålebinding
- Hike the Lycian Way
- Hike the entire Bruce Trail
- Hike the Lares Trek
- Write a novel
- Make a quilt
- Learn to throw a spear
- Learn calligraphy
Incomplete (And likely to remain that way)
- Complete a GoRuck Challenge. Unfortunately, due to an underlying hip issue, my sports doctor has cautioned me that participating in such an extreme act of endurance is likely to permanently ruin my hip. So instead, I have shadowed some events.
- Complete a metal-smithing degree. Halfway through the program, I realized I am nowhere near passionate enough on the subject to complete my studies and go into further debt.
- Travel to Congo, Iraq, Afghanistan, Central African Republic.
What am I missing? I'm sure there's plenty.